◙ Main Page


  ◙ Administration

  ◙ Contact us

  Cost Collections


  ◙ court local rules

  ◙ grand jury notice


  Judicial Commissioners

  Jury Information


  Maps and Driving Directions

  News and events

  ◙ on line payments
(Credit Cards)

Tom Hatcher
Circuit Court Clerk
926 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy.
Maryville, TN 37804-6201

Circuit Court (865) 273-5400

General Sessions (865) 273-5450

General Sessions-Civil (865) 273-5430

Juvenile Court (865) 273-5935

Traffic Court (865) 273-5440

Collections Dept. (865) 273-5493

Orders of Protection (865) 273-5425

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

(with the exception of holidays)



Holiday Schedule 2016

Q: Where do I send court payments?

Circuit Court            Blount County Circuit Court Clerk
and Collections:        926 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway
                               Maryville, TN 37804-6201

General Sessions      Blount County General Sessions Court

Civil, Criminal,          928 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway

Orders of Protection  Maryville, TN  37804-6201
and Traffic:

Juvenile:                  Blount County Juvenile Court
                               391 Court Street
                               Maryville, TN  37801-5906

We do not accept personal checks. Individuals may pay with a cashiers check, money order,
credit card or cash.

Q: Are the Civil and Criminal records public? If so, how can I get copies?
All court cases except Juvenile are public record.  Copies are 50 per page and certified copies are $5 plus 50 for each page.
Q: What are the costs associated with filing a Circuit Court Civil Complaint?

1 defendant - $295.00 plus officer fee of $28.00 per defendant if served in Blount County

Out of County service - $28.00 per defendant payable to the Sheriff of that county

Insurance Company - $15.00 payable to the Commissioner of Insurance

Out of State - $20.00 payable to the Secretary of State

Q: How are Circuit Civil cases set?
All jury and non-jury trials are set by the Judge's office by agreement.  No notices are sent out.
Q: If I have received a jury summons, how do I know when to report for jury duty?
If you have received a summons, please call the jury information line (865) 273-5499 after 5:30 p.m. the day before you are summoned to report.  There will be a message for each Judge on the recording.  Please listen carefully and follow the instructions. 
Q: If I need to be excused from jury duty, what should I do?
Write a letter to Tom Hatcher, Jury Coordinator, explaining why you need to be excused.  Please provide a stamped, self-addressed envelope for the response.
Q: Will the court appoint an attorney for me?

The court does not appoint attorneys in civil cases.  In criminal cases, if you are financially unable to hire an attorney, you may apply for a court appointed attorney.  At the arraignment, the Judge will require you to fill out an affidavit of indigency. The Judge will review your affidavit and determine, by the appropriate financial guideline, your eligibility for a public defender.

Q: Can the clerk reset cases or jail time?
No.  The clerk does not have the authority to reset cases or jail time.  You will have to contact your attorney or the Judge to have your case reset or to have jail time rescheduled.
Q: What is the cost for filing a small claims case?
The cost for one defendant is $158 and the cost for two defendants is $186.
Q: Can I pay a Public Intoxication charge instead of appearing in court?
You must appear in Court and have a Judge hear your case.
Q: I received a traffic citation in Blount County.  Do I have to appear in court?

If you have been charged with a minor moving traffic violation, you have three options in handling your case:

  1. You may pay prior to the court date (under most circumstances)
  2. Attend a driver improvement course, providing you qualify
  3. Appear in court to have Judge hear your case
Q: I was cited for an animal control violation.  What do I need to do?
You must appear in Court and have a Judge hear your case.
Q: In Juvenile Court what is the difference in a delinquent and unruly offense?
A delinquent offense is an offense that an adult may be charged with such as theft, assault, vandalism, etc.  An unruly offense is an offense that only a minor under the age of 18 can be charged with such as truancy, runaway, possession of tobacco, etc.
Q: How do I file for custody or guardianship?
Juvenile court does not have forms.  You must draft your own petition, summons and orders ensuing from any hearing or hire an attorney.
Q: Can I get an order of protection or a restraining order against a juvenile?
Juvenile Court does not issue Restraining Orders or Orders of Protection.  Orders of Protection are issued through the General Sessions Order of Protection Office.  You must see a General Sessions Court Judge before a restraining order will be issued for a juvenile.
Q: What is courtroom procedure in Juvenile Court?
  • The juvenile or defendant must come to court at the correct time along with his/her parent or guardian.  It is essential that a parent or guardian appear with the juvenile.
  • The docket is called at 9:00 a.m. or 1:30 p.m.  Each case is called and heard individually.  Only parties associated with the case will be allowed in the courtroom during the proceeding.
  • After court, all parties are required to leave the courtroom and go into an adjacent area in order to discuss each case individually and confidentially.
  • The juvenile and his/her parent or guardian will need to meet with a Youth Service Officer for further instructions.
Return to Home Page