◙ Main Page


  ◙ Administration

  ◙ Contact us

  Cost Collections


  ◙ court local rules

  ◙ grand jury notice


  Judicial Commissioners

  Jury Information


  Maps and Driving Directions

  News and events

  ◙ on line payments
(Credit Cards)

Tom Hatcher
Circuit Court Clerk
926 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy.
Maryville, TN 37804-6201

Circuit Court (865) 273-5400

General Sessions (865) 273-5450

General Sessions-Civil (865) 273-5430

Juvenile Court (865) 273-5935

Traffic Court (865) 273-5440

Collections Dept. (865) 273-5493

Orders of Protection (865) 273-5425

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

(with the exception of holidays)



Holiday Schedule 2016

General Sessions Court is a court of limited jurisdiction.  Civil jurisdiction is limited to specific types of actions and a monetary limit of $25,000 except for Detainer Warrants, wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction; and Actions to Recover Personal Property wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction including jurisdiction to award an alternative money judgment.  Criminal jurisdiction is limited to misdemeanor cases and preliminary hearings in felony cases. 

Criminal Cases
  • You may hire your own attorney.  If you are indigent, you may apply for a court appointed attorney in criminal cases.
  • If found guilty, the conviction will stay on your record.
  • If the case is dismissed, it may be expunged from your record.  You will have to prepare the paperwork or see an attorney to help you. There may also be a charge to file the paperwork.
  • Convictions on driving offenses are reported to the Department of Safety and do go on your driving history.
  • Failure to appear in court for failure to pay fine & costs could result in your arrest or your drivers license being suspended.
  • All General Sessions cases are open to the public. A public access computer is available to do a record search on someone.
  • A Judicial Commissioner is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for the purpose of issuing criminal warrants and criminal summons.
Civil Cases (Small Claims)
  • Limit $25,000.00 or less
  • Judgment final after ten days
  • Individual may represent self
  • Corporations must have an attorney
  • You must provide the parties name and address to file a case
  • Advanced court cost required at time of filing
  • Court cost will be taxed by the Judge at the conclusion of your case.
Civil Warrant
A civil warrant is used to obtain a money judgment from someone for an amount owed or damages not to exceed $25,000.
Action to Recover Personal Property
An Action to Recover Personal Property is used to recover your property if someone has it and will not return it.
Detainer Warrant
This is used to evict someone from your property (house, lot, mobile home, apartment).  You must first give the tenant a 30 day written notice to move.  You may also request a money judgment for back rent and damages. 
Writ of Possession
This is used after a judgment is final on an Action to Recover or a Detainer Warrant and the other party has not returned your property or if the other party has not vacated your property.
If you do not agree with the outcome on your court hearing, you may file an appeal bond within ten days of the judgment. If you do not have an attorney, you may want to obtain counsel to help you prepare the appeal bond.
Execution by Levy or Garnishment

Judgments for money may be enforced by execution (T.C.A. 26-1-103). This is used to collect judgments that are final and no appeal has been filed. Judgments in General Sessions Court are final after ten days. 

You may garnish a person's wages or levy on anything of value they own (bank account, automobile, etc.). It is your responsibility to obtain this information before filing the appropriate paperwork. 

Each defendant is entitled to file a personal property exemption up $10,000.00 which may include items of personal property in his possession and money and funds on deposit with a bank or other financial institution up to $10,000.00 (T.C.A. 26-2-102).

Petition to Pay By Installments
After a judgment has been rendered in court and the time to appeal has elapsed, without such an appeal having been made, a Petition to Pay By Installments may be filed with the court and set for hearing.  You must appear in court and the judge will determine the payment amount based on the information you have provided.  This payment agreement will stay the issuance of a garnishment as long as your payments are current.
Credit Bureau
The Credit Bureau obtains judgment amounts from this office that do appear on credit reports.
Payment Policy

We do not accept personal checks. Individuals may pay with a cashiers check, money order, credit/debit card or cash.

Legal Advice
Deputy Clerks cannot give legal advice.  They will file your paperwork, but they cannot advise  you on what action you should take.  You should consult an attorney for legal advice.
After Hours Filing Information
For your convenience, an after hours filing box is located at the Justice Center in the jail visitation area.  If a filing fee is required, you will be contacted the next business day regarding payment.
Return to Home Page